Urinary tract infections can bring a host of uncomfortable and disruptive symptoms. While a Urinary Tract Infection (UTI) can occur in both men and women, it is females who are at a much greater risk for this dreaded scenario. In fact, over half of the female population will have at least one UTI in their lifetime. Unfortunately, a small but notable percentage of those women suffer from multiple or frequent UTIs. While some UTIs go away on their own, many of these infections require a course of antibiotics. For some women, this is only a temporary fix and the UTI returns weeks or months later.
Symptoms and Causes of a Urinary Tract Infections
The telltale signs of a UTIs are not pleasant. They can include one or more of the following symptoms listed by the Mayo Clinic:
- A strong, persistent urge to urinate
- A burning sensation when urinating
- Passing frequent, small amounts of urine
- Urine that appears cloudy
- Urine that appears red, bright pink or cola-colored — a sign of blood in the urine
- Strong-smelling urine
- Pelvic pain, in women — especially in the center of the pelvis and around the area of the pubic bone
Why do urinary tract infections occur? Like other infections in your body, bacterial contamination is a primary cause of UTIs. This can occur due to an imbalance of hormones, such as women experience during midlife, as well as frequent sexual intercourse.
Are chronic UTIs a life sentence? Definitely not. However, it is important to work with an experienced medical provider to determine the underlying cause of your UTI. Some of these risk factors are easily adjusted while others may be out of your control. Regardless, there is typically a solution to stop the cycle of frequent UTIs so that your quality of life can be restored.
Avoiding UTIs as a woman can include the following simple preventative measures:
- Drinking plenty of water flush out bad bacteria
- Not “holding” your bladder when you need to urinate
- Urinating immediately after sexual intercourse
- Not douching or using scented feminine products
- Wearing breathable undergarments
UTI Treatment in Chicago
At CLEAR Immediate Care, we proudly offer a wide range of services in primary care, including the treatment of UTIs. If your UTIs are persistent or too frequent, our physicians will work hard to address the root cause of your UTI so that you are not suffering through painful symptoms or taking an abundance of antibiotics throughout the year. Call today to schedule your consult at our Chicago clinic.